- Run the Windows Disk Cleanup tool:
Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup
WinKey+R -> cleanmgr.exe
- Choose C: and press OK.
- Enable the checkbox for Thumbnails and press OK.
On Windows XP the thumbnail cache is not stored in a central location, but stored in a hidden file called Thumbs.db in each individual folder that contains videos and images.
- From Windows Explorer, click the Tools menu, then select Folder Options.
- Click on the View tab.
- Make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected.
- Uncheck Hide protected files and folders.
- Uncheck Hide protected operating files. Click OK when the warning appears.
- Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
Now you should be able to see the Thumbs.db file in each folder. Delete it to clear the thumbnail cache for that folder. To quickly delete all such files from your computer, you can use the search function of Windows.